Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rosetta: The Christmas Ball

Every year the students put on a Christmas ball. They serve a huge dinner for upwards of 700 people in the town hall and afterwards there is a dance floor available. This years theme was 'Italiano' so I just got back from a very good meal. It was not pasta or pizza like you'd expect but a much fancier imitation of France's Southern neighbor. We started with hors d'oeuvres of course, a small variety plate that was listed as 'modern pizza' but I didn't see much resemblance. After that was a dish of diced scallops served in a log of jelly with slices of orange included (skin and all), this dish was interesting to try but not sensational enough to finish. The main course was a delicious chicken log stuffed with a tomato and mystery filling and covered in some sort of green sauce. This was served with a minced and fried potato triangle much like something you could find at an American diner and kidney beans. Desert was also very good, it was called a 'strawberry mousse' but it was served in the shape of a rectangle cake and had many layers of yummy. And of course, no French meal is complete without the after dinner coffee which in this case came with 'second desert' a shot class filled with a this chocolate mousse and whipped cream. To finish the evening we danced and then walked (and/or ran) home in a perfectly cliché rainstorm, arriving at the house romantically sodden. The whole evening lasted a total of 7 hours and I would award the food an 8 while the music merited something less than a 4.

1 comment:

  1. WTF is a modern pizza what did it look like? Not like Nana DiSalvo's "bizza" huh?! And that scallop entree sounded ghastly but I bet the desserts more than made up for it.

    Again....I'm mysteriously hungry. :-)

    ReplyDelete