Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rosetta: Chinese Cuisine

In the United States I would always snicker when I saw a sign advertising 'Chinese Cuisine'. I mean the word Cuisine is just French for cooking (slash food, slash kitchen). So I would laugh at the irony of a Chinese restaurant using a French word on their sign. However, Thursday night I literally ate Chinese Cuisine. We have a group of Chinese students come study at our school for one month every year and then sometimes they put together a Chinese Dinner for everyone. It was rather fun and had lots of new things to taste, however none of it made me crave more so I would give the food a 6 (it was well presented at least). It was authentic Chinese because it was made by real Chinese students (plus their Chinese cooking teachers who had come with them). Because I knew who was doing the cooking, I was fairly prepared for all the novelty asian dishes, but the part that caught me off guard was a very familiar tasting bowl of chicken rice soup. I quite enjoyed it, however not many of the others did. The 'cuisine' part happened because it was cooked in a French kitchen with the help of French cooks and French students and the best part, they served the meal with bread rolls on the table because you can't have a meal here without them (even a Chinese meal). It was very quick paced, and the dishes came out staggered so there was always something to eat. I was very amused because the Chinese servers kept switching out our used plates for fresh ones which consternated the French diners because they did not have time to soak up the sauce with a bread roll which is practically compulsory here.

1 comment:

  1. Jane and i thought you "Literally" ate the words "Chinese Cuisine". Not. But I do hate the use of the word "literally". Just a pet peeve that i'm sure was implanted in me by some overzealous Jesuit.

    I'm always hungry after i read your posts!

    love and peace to you,
    U.Mark

    ReplyDelete