Today was the first day back from break. I only had one hour of class this afternoon so it was a pretty smooth start. Marylise told me that I would either watch the presentation on England that I helped two students to make, or if they weren't ready, I would take a group to the library to do a small project with dictionaries. When we arrived in class the students weren't ready for their presentation so she assigned some students to come with me to the library and then proceeded to do half an hour of a worksheet with them while I stood quietly at the front of the class before sending the group off with me for the last 15 minutes of class. The worksheet we did was a letter written to a friend about a trip to Ireland. The activity was to rewrite the letter changing the slang to make the letter more formal as if it were written to an 'old uncle'. I thought it was a bit ridiculous to send the students to look in a dictionary to translate slang words like, 'hang around' 'out of this world' and 'mates'. But I was surprised, they were all there in the dictionary (except for 'fab' I had to translate that one myself). The students were very focused and worked well... for the 15 minutes we had. And that was it, the first day of class.
No comments:
Post a Comment