Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Rosetta: Here Comes the Weekend

Okay, so I missed a class yesterday because I randomly thought it was at 5 instead of 4. So today I when I saw the teacher I went up to her and apologized for missing her class. Her response was to agree that I had missed class yesterday and then go on to explain to me for half an hour what I would be doing with her class next week. She had completely moved on. At the end of our conversation I apologized again and she then told me that it was maybe even better that I hadn't shown up because 1. she had a lot of things she had to do with her students and 2. there was a presentation by a couple of the students that was a real flop. I had wanted to see the presentation because I had helped them prepare for it a bit but apparently they didn't have good visual aids and they were not very interesting. She said she was glad I had missed it. So I am off the hook on that one. And on a related note, I will only be working 6 hours this week. I very rarely end up working my full 12 hours.

Another thing that I find a bit odd is the way Laurent has me run groups. Usually he gives me a group of about 4 to do with as I like as long as we speak English, but the last couple of times he has given me a specific agenda (talk about quantities or teach them about the elements of a print ad). This is all well and good, except that he gives me four students and he teaches the rest of the class the exact same thing. So the four that are with me the first half an hour, hear it from me and then go back to catch the tail end of Laurent teaching the same thing, and the group I have for the second half hour has already had the lesson with Laurent, and the other 12 students in the class only get the one lesson directly from Laurent. I feel like there has to be a more productive way to do this. And then today, he had to go arrange some things in the middle of his two hour class. So as usually I had 4 groups for half an hour each. But his other students had like a half hour break where they waited in the hall (because they are not allowed in the classroom by themselves). I offered to babysit the whole class while he was gone so they wouldn't have to wait in the halls but he said he preferred for me to just take the groups. So that's that. I finished my two hours of work today, apologized to Marylise for yesterday and walked home. I have one hour of class tomorrow and one hour of tutoring and then it is my weekend! I am very very happy and I mostly attribute it to the music I listen to on my walk to and from school. If I had to pick the one item that has made me the happiest while I have been in France I would say it is my iShuffle. (Of course my computer would top my list except that is doesn't necessarily make me happy, it's more that it keeps me from being sad). Oh, and the weather has been so amazing for January, that keeps my spirits up as well.

1 comment:

  1. Why not do half of the lesson each and then switch so that the kids won't get bored?

    ReplyDelete