Saturday, November 5, 2011

Rosetta: "No tips needed"

The Bibliotèque Media (library) is located right behind my bank/post office, that is to say about a five minute walk from my house. It is a cute building with all the books and movies I'll need to keep me occupied during all the time I will have not working. It also has a small section of audio books of which I plan to take full advantage. Listening to a book on tape is one of my favorite ways to practice my comprehension (other than meeting some awesome people who want to talk to me in French but that will come too I am sure). The door to get into the library is easy to close from the outside but a bit harder to close from the inside because it has one of those push bars to open and so to close it from the inside you have to sort of slam it past the 'cobalt' (the little device that keeps the door closed but move out of the way when you turn the doorknob). Because of this, when I am leaving the library I always hold the door open for people entering so that I can close the door from the outside for them (where there is a proper handle so you don't have to slam the door). This ends up being a tad bit awkward however if the people are a couple steps from the door because then I end up holding the door very conspicuously (especially if they walk slowly as a lot of the older population here does). So the other day I was holding the door very awkwardly as this old couple walked up to the door and the women went in the man held out his hand to me. I realized too late that he was pretend offering me tip. I wish I had been quicker on the uptake so I could've said something clever along the lines of I don't need a tip. But by the time I figured out why he'd done that he was already inside and I was closing the door for them. Oh well, next time I will know what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment