Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rosetta: La Nausée (Sartre Joke)

I woke up this morning feeling very light headed and nauseous. The nausea stuck with me the rest of day. However, I still ventured out of the house for the planned lunch with Laurent. He picked me up in front of the school because he didn't know where I lived and he drove me to Berck (the neighboring town) where we walked along the beach and through the small town. Then we went to his house in Verton and had lunch with his wife, Cecil, and son, Benoît. Cecil was very nice and easy to talk to. She had lost of pertinent and interesting questions to ask me and so she kept the conversation going very well. Benoît (20) spoke only when spoken to and generally was very quiet. We had a 'typic french' lunch consisting of a sliced tomato and sliced ham sausage for the 'entrée' (in this case meaning the entrance to the meal or in English hors d'oeuvre), the main course was a 'poupiette' which was some kind of meat hash wrapped in a beef filet wrapped with a strip of fat and all tied up in a string, this was accompanied by a vegetable mush that was pretty decent. After of course we had a cheese plate and then dessert which was baked apples and was very good. After that we had coffee and the Ferrero Rochers which a brought them. When I presented them with the Ferrero Rochers they had teasingly responded by saying that they didn't like chocolate. But again, they seemed to have been the perfect choice. If you ever are wondering what will go over well I recommend little chocolates of some sort since there will most likely be a coffee after dinner and this will present the perfect opportunity to eat your chocolates (or cookies would probably be good too). During coffee there was a knock on the door and Laurent answered to two little kids who said 'un bonbon ou un sort' (a candy or a spell) so he gave them some typical Halloween candy. I was glad to see this tradition respected even in France however it seem to be only little kids and only during the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment