I just got back from Madame Deloffre's house. I ended up staying for lunch too 'since I would be alone if I went home'. It was actually very nice. Madame Deloffre was there as well as her son and his fiancé, her sister and husband and her sister's two kids and two granddaughters who were 8 and 6 years old. So it was quite a crowd but I was happy to not be alone all day. As much as I like to have the house to myself for a while it is quite nice to have some conversation in a day. The Ferrero Rochers I brought went over quite well and not just with the kiddos, I made the right choice (even though it was slightly more expensive than the cookies I was also considering).
We started in the sitting room with hors d'oeuvres: bread spread with fois gras and a cherry tomato on top and bread spread with butter covered in smoked salmon with a mini slice of lemon on top. Very fancy. Oh, and champaign to go with that. Then we moved to the table and hat boiled potatoes, salmon, and rice with a delicious white sauce over everything. And of course white wine to go with the fish. After that there was a cheese course with a choice of five different cheeses and bread. And a red wine. Then there was the pear pie and 'tart au sucre' a regional specialty. And after that we had coffee and the Ferrero Rochers. So you know, just a normal lunch in France. It all lasted about 3 hours. Everyone was very nice except they kept being very stern with the two kids which surprised me and probably would have made me cry at that age (or even now if someone used that tone with me) but the two girls practically ignored them. I offered to take the kids of their hands for an evening if they were interested and the grandma was very intrigued by this idea but the mom seemed to be uninterested so we'll see. For now, I am back at home about to curl up in bed and read some more, at this rate I should finish my book before school starts back up, but don't worry I have another one waiting for me when I'm done (not to mention a whole library full of fun and exciting books down the street).
No comments:
Post a Comment