Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rosetta: Day to Myself


            Today, as Charlotte had left and Muriel had work and Kenza had school, I had the day to do with as I liked. So, after sleeping in, doing my laundry, and showering, I headed out to explore Louvain-la-Neuve.  I found the main strip of entertainment/shops and went to see what movie I’d enjoy watching. I decided on Identité Secrète the new Taylor Lautner movie, in French. I still had some time before the movie started so I looked for the theatre so I could buy a play ticket for tonight. I found the theatre with a sign saying that the ticket office was open from 10:30-6:30 and as it was 2:00 I tried to enter the building. However, the building I was at was not the ticket office, it was just the theatre. So I decided to find the ticket office after the movie.
            At the cinema, I bought my ticket at the student price even though I hadn’t brought any proof that I was a student and I went into the completely empty theatre to await the film. About 5 minutes before the film was to start two other couples entered. All the films at this cinema start at the same time, so there is a 2:30 showing a 4:45 showing then some evening showings but you can get there at any of these times and then decide between all the films which one you’d like to see. 2:30 came and went and I was left wondering how come the movie hadn’t started yet. I convinced myself that it would start any minute and that this was probably normal. I was mustering courage to ask the people behind me if the film should’ve started already when a lady walked in to check on us and realized the film had not started yet.
            By this time is was 3:00 and she informed us that she was sorry but it was too late to start the film and all the other films we could’ve watched were already half and hour in. We were all reimbursed with two free movie tickets (even though I explained that I did not live in town and would probably not have time to use the tickets). I loitered outside the movie theatre and looked at my map because in fact the theatre I had tried to buy play tickets at was just one of two in walking distance so I thought I’d head to the other theatre and see if I could buy the ticket there.
            While I was looking at the map, two girls about my age came to see the movie times right next to me. I offered to sell them my two tickets for 10€ (a tidy profit of 3€ for me) and they seemed genuinely interested. However, neither of them had cash on them so it didn’t work out.
            I found the other theatre quite easily as there were signs posted all over pointing to the spots of interest, one of which was the theatre. The ticket office was indeed in the second theatre so I went in to ask about tickets. Unfortunately, they were sold out but I left feeling happy because the conversation had gone very well in French and gave me a sense of accomplishment even though I had been unable to buy a ticket.
            After that, I found the FNAC (the big chain book and appliance store) and entertained myself browsing books and movies. By the time I’d had enough I figured Kenza would be home from school and she was. She has some homework to do before we hang out but she promised me that it wouldn’t take too long and then she would have the rest of the evening to spend some time with me.
            I had a great day, I love being able to go at my own pace and enjoy getting lost or turned around when I am by myself listening to music and don’t have other people to worry about. Tomorrow I am going with Kenza and Patrick to a 24H bike something or another. I am not entirely sure what this entails except that Patrick’s son is playing music at some point and that it will take up most of the afternoon. I am excited to see what it will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment