Monday, October 10, 2011

Meg: "Hi my name is ____ and I'm French and I'm from Tulle."

This is how the students introduced themselves to me this morning on my first morning of classes.  They were so cute!  Every single one of them told me that they were French, which I thought was completely adorable.  Their teacher had them spell their names for me and then I had to write them as they spoke, to see if I could understand what it was that they were saying.  (I couldn't always.)  Then they asked me my name, where I was from, what my occupation is and about my hobbies.  That class was actually the second of the day, and they were young students, but I was super impressed with their English.  I wonder if I was that cute when I was their age?!?  At the end of class, the teacher asked them what grade they thought they deserved out of two for their participation/how well they were understood/how much they chatted during the class.  I was pretty surprised that most of them gave very honest answers and how many times the teacher informed some students that they talked too much, or weren't clear enough.  That made me feel a little bad because my misunderstanding may have lost them a couple of points. 

The group I had earlier in the day was older and super enthousiastic about talking to me in English.  More than I thought they would be!  They were able to ask me more specific questions like how many brothers and sisters do I have and do I live in an apartment or a house.  I'm looking forward to getting to know them better, and I feel so much better now that I've actually started to work!  It seems that I will spend Mondays and Fridays here at Victor Hugo and Tuesdays and Thursdays mostly at Clemenceau.  Not that I have much of a scheldule with the other school yet.  It's only one more week until my break, which seems crazy to me!  I'm planning on heading south to visit friends, but I haven't booked anything yet.  Hopefully, I'll be able to get internet tomorrow, and then I can book it from my own computer, but if not, I'll just have to get on one of the school computers for a while.  I might even just go to the train station to buy tickets.

Well, I'm going to go get some lunch now and then try and talk to the secretary at my school to see how my mail will arrive.  Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment