Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rosetta: School, Shopping, and Spanish

I still don't have a real schedule yet. The other assistants have theirs but the English teachers just haven't decided yet when they want me. I am feeling a bit unwanted on the assistant side of things here as of late. There are 3 main English teachers and 3 part-timers. So far they don't seem super enthusiastic about having me help them. Apparently, they learn British English here. So today I didn't have a class I had to be at until 4 and I went in for lunch with my roommates at noon. I threw caution to the wind and went in jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoody. This is the first time I have gone into the building wearing jeans and the only reason I did it was because I wanted to wear my Rosetta Stone t-shirt that I got with my Grandparents when we went to visit the real Rosetta Stone. Some people where having trouble with my name so I thought the shirt would be a good conversation piece and it seemed like jeans were my best outfit match. However, as soon as I got on campus I felt absurdly out of place. To put it in perspective all the students where uniforms, the girls even wear skirts and high heals. No one commented on my attire, save for my roommates who both noticed I still had wet hair from the shower I had taken before heading to lunch. After lunch we came home to meet the man who was supposed to install gas heating in our house before I went back for class at 4. The first thing I did when I got home was change out of the jeans and hoody (I kept the shirt though). I think that is the last time I will wear casual attire to school, except for maybe if I am ever required to wear clothes native to my homeland (tomorrow is a Spanish festival and Maria is going to go to school dressed in a dress that is traditional garb for her country).

*********************************************************************************

I received my PIN in the mail today and delightedly went off to spend my first Euro on a debit card. I bought a 25€ coat and a 25€ pair of boots. Okay, a bit expensive for me but I was stoked, all the other boots I've seen in windows cost at least 100€. I'm glad to have the black boots now, my brown ones don't go with too many outfits, also I am happy to have a purple pea coat, I brought a total of two jackets; one is brown and very warm but not entirely stylish and the other is white, not very warm, and stylish, but it shows dirt incredibly well and ever since I got a black satchel I've been carrying around my white coat has had a permanent dirty smudge across the front where the strap rubs.

*********************************************************************************

I am very happy with my new roommates, already we are making travel plans and sharing our own cultural cooking with each other. I am learning Spanish with Maria but am feeling a bit less enthusiastic about it as of late, I think I need to find a good starting point, without one the prospect seems a bit overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment