Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Meg: Yep, I'm American

I've been feeling super American lately.  I see it in the clothes a wear, in my accent (especially when I'm with other English speakers), in how loudly I talk, and how much I miss having regular internet access.  Ok, maybe the last one can just be attributed to my age.  It doesn't help that at the moment I am sitting in McDonalds so that I can have access to the internet.  Actually, it was quite an adventure getting here today.

The first thing I should note is that I was super dumb when it came to my bank account.  I opened the account, and I picked up the card yesterday, but somewhere, between picking up my package from my mom in the Salle des Profs and my apartment I misplaced the piece of mail with my pin number on it.  Which means that I can't use said card in order to buy internet.  Which led me to the need to venture out to McDonalds today on my day off, because honestly, I miss you people too much not to be able to stalk what it is you are doing on a daily basis on Facebook.

All I knew was the general location of the McDonalds... I knew it was somewhere near the big grocery store that I believe would be about a five mile walk to get to... nothing with a car, but on foot on a very hot day (as it continues to be here) nearly impossible.  So I took a bus for the first time.   It was about noon by the time I got down to the bus stop because really, I'm not a morning person at all.  It was fun to watch all the school children run down the steps to catch school buses to take them home for lunch- something that just seems incredible to me, that a lot of them actually have lunch with their families everyday.  I think it's really nice but boy it must be a big pain!  I waited about 15 minutes for a bus (it never runs on time here so I never know when it's actually going to come), got on, only to have the driver to announce that she was only going as far as the train station, before she would take a 15 minute break.  Oh the joys of mass transportation in France.  So we get to the train station, where I spot a taxi!  I didn't have any cash, so I ran across the street to a bank, only to hurry back to find the one taxi gone.  I was sad and had to wait for the bus driver to be off break before I could continue on to the McDonalds.  The drive was quick and I spotted the golden arches off in the distance.  I was elated but then it took me awhile before I could figure out how to get here.  As it turned out, all I had to do was follow the magical road of trash from McDonalds, which led me under a bridge, on a sidewalkless street, and up a sketchy flight of stairs.  But here I am!  I ordered a bunch of food so that I can just let most of it sit so I don't get kicked out.  I plan to stay here until my battery runs out, which will be in about three hours.  I just hope my episode of Glee will finish downloading before I leave.  Otherwise I might cry.

So there you have it, an American girl sitting in McDonalds in France, for the free internet.  Hopefully I will be able to get the pin again soon (they have to send it by mail) and procure internet for my apartment sometime in the next week before I head out on vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment