I arrived home safely yesterday around 2:30 in the afternoon. I was traveling for about 6 and a half hours total but it didn't seem like very long because I had to change trains so many times it seemed like I was always doing something. When I got home Charlotte and I walked up to the library to borrow a movie for the night. After we picked out a film (the 6th Harry Potter) we walked to the grocery store. Along the way we stopped in a little boutique that reminded me so much of home. It had all kinds of organic and health products that I recognized, it would have fit right in Ashland if everything hadn't been in French. And, true to form, everything was super expensive. I think I might end up getting my cereal there anyway though because I have the hardest time finding cereal here, all the cereal I find seems to be packed full of chocolate or to be the junk food brands you find in the USA, in any case, not the sort of thing I feel okay having for breakfast... Dessert maybe, but not breakfast. There were a couple choices of healthy cereal in the boutique but they were over 4€ for one small box. For now I am sticking with Quaker Oats for breakfast but I am considering my other cereal options. The organic boutique made me homesick with how much it reminded me of Ashland and my mom. I wanted to buy a couple of the things I saw to send home to her so she could try them because I think she would like them.
Today I planned on having a lazy day and not doing anything special. However, our landlady had told us she was coming at 11 this morning to work out the internet crisis (that is the fact that my roomies don't have internet access in the house yet). I ended up waking up to Charlotte telling me we had about 10 minutes until Madame Deloffre arrived, so I hopped out of bed and went to have breakfast. Madame Deloffre (and her nephew) showed up a little early and I ended up not having time to eat first. About an hour later with the internet situation on the path to be fixed everyone left to drive to the store to buy a phone for our house (Madame Deloffre said she would buy it for us and so Charlotte hopped in her car to take her up on the offer). I then had breakfast and did my laundry. After that Charlotte and I walked to the library to exchange our movie and then I picked up my new book from the post office (it was able to find me even though I was required to put a number in the address line on Amazon.fr) and then I went shopping for groceries. After that, Charlotte and I rode our bikes by the beach. This would have been a much lovelier experience but the bike I had borrowed from Maria had a problem with the tire. After riding for about 20 minutes it deformed just enough that every time it went around there was a bump that pressed against the break pad. I rode it about halfway home and then the problem got worse so I got off and walked it the rest of the way home. It was a very annoying walk as every time the wheel got to that point in the cycle the bike would try to stop as if I'd put on the breaks. But I made it home, had dinner, and watched a film. After that I even finished my monthly paper for my internship and mailed it in. All-in-all it was pretty productive for a do-nothing day. I think I will try again tomorrow (perhaps with a bit more success as I think it will be raining and I know have two different books I want to read - one that came in the mail today and the other that I picked up from the library).
No comments:
Post a Comment