Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rosetta: Being Outgoing

So, I told myself before I got here that if I really wanted to improve my French I was going to have to throw out the old habits and just go for it and speak. A lot. Well, Saturday night rolled around and I went out to the bars with three teachers and my two roommates. Old habits are hard to break. I barely spoke the whole time, not because I was being shy, but just because I literally could not think of anything to say. Okay, it was loud there and it would have been difficult to be heard so I felt like anything I might say should at least be fairly important or relevant because I was probably going to have to repeat it a couple of times. And then, this morning my roommate asked me if everything was okay. Apparently I hadn't said much to her and she thought that maybe I was mad. Nope, she caught me totally off guard, I am completely happy and content and I hadn't even realized she and I hadn't communicated much (we'd said hello, and had many other little conversations about housework and lunch plans, and daily plans), so it seems old habits really are hard to break.
 
******************************************************************************

On another topic I was in a SNF (phone store) and I saw the device I need to put my pictures onto my computer for not too much money so I bought it. Now I have a way to put pictures of my life on Facebook. The downside is I don't know how to make them smaller files so it takes FOREVER to load them into an album, I'm currently at 7 out of 50 uploaded 364 minutes to go. And to make it worse my internet is sketchy so it will probably cut out before all the pictures are loaded. If not, you should check out the pictures.

 ******************************************************************************
We made garlic bread last night because we had the teachers over for a glass of wine before we went out and so we had bread and cheese and garlic bread as little snacks. My roommates had said that they just use the dish towel instead of a hot pad to get things out of the oven. I had gone into the kitchen to retrieve the garlic bread and I was in a bit of a hurry because I wanted to get back into the sitting room with everyone. I grabbed the dish towel to pull the bread out of the oven but stupidly forgot that I should probably double or triple it before touching something hot. I have a nice burn on my thumb (but the bread survived) and I shall henceforth remember to double the towel AND check to make sure it's thick enough before pulling the tray entirely out of the oven and resting it's weight on my thumb. Interestingly, the burn on my thumb is in the shape of an S.

 *******************************************************************************
I am looking forward to classes tomorrow. The teachers last night asked me if I'd sit in on a "European" class (this means that it isn't a language class but it is taught in a foreign language for example the class I will be going to is a management class taught in English). The others suspect that the teacher doesn't speak English very well. It ought to be fun. All my classes are fun here at least for now. And October 20th is the commencement of my first vacation. They have lots of vacations here. I am planning on going up to Belgium to visit Muriel (a friend of the family) and then to the South of France to visit Rachelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment