I have heard a lot of German lately. Why, you ask? Because two other German assistants spent the night here last night and so they and Charlotte talked to each other in German some of the time. They also all spoke French with Maria and I. Then, Sunday morning, we all piled into Charlotte's car and headed off on an hour drive to the nearby Cape, 'Cap Blanc Nez'. We dropped Maria off at the train station (she was headed to Lille) and picked up another German assistant on the way. At this point they all only spoke French when I was part of the conversation. That is a weird feeling, to know immediately that you being included in the topic because suddenly you can understand what is being said. We drove first to the Cap Gris Nez which is nearby but not quite as nice as the other, and then we drove midway and parked the car and walked to the Cap Blanc Nez. It was beautiful, the sun was shining, there wasn't too much wind, and the cliffs and seascape were so immense that I lost my sense of distance. What looked like just a short walk along the beach ended up taking FORever. We walked between the beach and towering cliffs all the way to the Cap Blanc Nez where we paused for lunch. Then we hiked up to the top to look out on the ocean (on a clear day you can see England, too bad it wasn't clear). After that we walked back to the car and drove home. Round trip we were out of the house 7 hours. Not bad for a Sunday, had I been left to my own devices I would've loitered in my pajamas most the day only possibly venturing out to hit up a store for supplies. But when in a foreign country it is good to explore the must-sees of the region so I am glad I had some impetus (in the form of a roommate) to leave the house. I am now completely exhausted though, and am glad that it is finally a reasonable hour to go to bed. And I am also glad I don't have to be to school until noon tomorrow.
********************************************************************************
On an unrelated subject, I ordered the next book in a series on Amazon to be delivered to my new house in France. The only problem is that Amazon wouldn't allow me to put in my address because you are REQUIRED to have a number for an address. But, since I live in a villa, I have no number. I ended up just putting my address as 0 Villa L'orée des Bois. I hope it finds its way here even with that silly zero in front of the address. Hopefully the mail man will figure it out. If not I'm not sure I'll be able to order things online for the duration. We'll see. It wouldn't be too big a loss as I hadn't even thought of it until my brother mentioned it in response to my complaint that I had no way to read the next book in the series. And suddenly a new avenue of goods reopened for me, we'll see if it stays that way when I receive the book in the mail, or not.
No comments:
Post a Comment