I woke up around noon to the sound of someone pounding relentlessly on the door feeling dizzy and disoriented. At first I let the knocking go, assuming someone who actually lived here would answer. Finally it occurred to me that I had the house key Agathe normally would use and maybe she needed to be let in. I answered the door. No one was there. The walls in these apartments are paper thin, it must have been someone knocking at some other door.
I got ready to go slowly, the dizziness lessening but never really going away. I considered that it might be because of the wine I had with dinner but decided to chalk it up to jet lag instead. I left the apartment and wandered the streets with the vague goal of buying a new clasp for my necklace which had broken when I tried to put it on. I found one place that said they could fix it if I brought it in, but I'm not sure I could find them again. I also had the goal of finding some goat cheese and a baguette for lunch. I had bragged to my friends about the all the cheap goat cheese I'll be eating while I'm here and I figured it was time to start. However, I didn't realize that finding cheap goat cheese in Paris would be so difficult. I easily found several places where goat cheese was sold, but for a higher price than I remembered it costing in my small northern french town of last year. Finally, after 4 or 5 tries, I found goat cheese for less than 2€ and I jumped on it. Now I am back at home and ready for some lunch.
These I saw while out today:
A condom dispenser on the street
Stores names, "Happy" "Good" and "Gossip"(in English)
Two guys playing "Gangham Style" on their phone
Other things of interest:
Agathe's apartment building is broken into 'half floors' starting with 'Entresol A' then 'Entresol B' followed by 1st floor A and then 1st floor B, 2nd A and 2nd B, etc.
There are at least two stores in my neighborhood that sell only prepackaged frozen foods from hors d'oeuvres to dinners and desserts, all in neat rows in closed freezers so the store doesn't get cold.

No comments:
Post a Comment