Sunday, December 16, 2012

Dimanche

Rachelle and I were talking about how every day in French ends with 'di' except Sunday, whereas there are no exceptions in English, all days end in 'day'. However, Rachelle pointed out shortly thereafter that in fact 'Dimanche' or Sunday, starts with the 'di'. This is just one example of the super entertaining things about which we spend our days conversing. She is working on her masters in linguistics so, like me, she finds words very interesting in both French and English.

Today, Dimanche, we slept in and woke up just in time to have a relaxed breakfast and make our matinée of Mama Mia. It was so much fun. The songs where all translated into French as well as the script and somewhat difficult to understand over the orchestra but the atmosphere of musical theatre was lovely and already being familiar with the story, I had no trouble following along. We had cheap seats in the 'nose bleed' section which turned out to be good for two reasons. First, we could look down on the rest of the audience, which was pretty fun and second, we were literally in the last row so I was able to stand up and lean against the wall in order to have a clear view of the stage (being short I often find that the head of the person in the seat in front of me annoyingly blocks my view). We had a great time and didn't even realize that the play lasted 3 hours.

Afterwards, we had dinner at a small pizza joint and then headed to Rachelle's favorite pool hall. We played several rounds of pool and made it home and into bed before midnight. All in all it was a lovely day that could only have been improved upon had we woken up a bit earlier and had a good morning part to the day. Tomorrow, Rachelle works in the morning and I intend to venture out on my own to find a laundromat as I have run out of clean undergarments.

Rachelle and I are planning a trip around the town in the next couple of days in order to get some good photos of the town, the architecture, and us. So expect some visuals in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment