Sunday, December 9, 2012

New York


I successfully navigated and mostly stayed awake for my trip to New York. I got some good dozes in on the train ride into the city from the airport, had a lovely lunch and coffee and made it back about 15 minutes after my 2 hour early deadline. And here I am 45 minutes before boarding begins waiting at my gate. 

I met up with the English assistant from the neighboring town whom I met whilst living in France a year ago. She suggested we meet up in Little Italy, about a 45 minute train ride from the airport. Lunch was an intimidating looking, yet yummy, asian-fusion restaurant where I tasted some things I'd never had before and quite enjoyed them. 

Coffee and desert was found at a small café called Café Café which had a yummy cheese cake. We spent the time catching up and reminiscing about old times. It is strange seeing someone you've not kept in contact with for a while and probably won't see again for another long time. You end up telling each other random vignettes of your life. Small entertaining or interesting tidbits that may or may play a large part in the grand scheme of things. In addition you have to do a quick catch up, 'here's what I did since we last talked, here's what I'm doing now, here's what I plan to do in the future.' It is quite a different experience than hanging out with someone you see consistently and who has a fairly clear idea of what your life has been like. 

I feel like my trip to New York was a success (if only I'd been able to see Ally as well) and now I am flying to Paris. Two nights in a row on an airplane, shortened by the time change. I feel alright currently but hopefully I can get some good sleep this shortened night, I should've picked a seat by the window. When I arrive it will be 6:30AM and I have breakfast plans with Agathe. Then she heads off to work and I can take advantage of her bed well she is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment